Cardiology Fellowships at Minneapolis Heart Institute
Education is central to our mission at Minneapolis Heart Institute®. We offer fellowships in four specialties: Cardiovascular Disease, Interventional Cardiology, Structural Cardiology and Vascular Surgery.
What sets Minneapolis Heart Institute® apart?
- Part of Abbott Northwestern Hospital, ranked in the top 20 nationally by US News and World Report for cardiology and heart surgery
- Provide care in 12 Twin Cities metro locations and more than 36 communities across Minnesota
- Employ more than 57 cardiologists, nine vascular surgeons and seven cardiothoracic surgeons
- Formed in 1981, bringing more than 36 years of cardiovascular expertise to our patients
- Focus on providing optimal care, transforming physician leadership, innovating health care delivery, research and education
- Access to cutting-edge research with Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation®
Learn more about Kevin Harris, MD, fellowship site director at Minneapolis Heart Institute®.
Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship
Minneapolis Heart Institute® is proud to be part of the Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship at Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC). Fellows in the three-year program rotate at Minneapolis Heart Institute® at Abbott Northwestern Hospital and HCMC. The fellowship is ACGME-accredited and offers fellows one-on-one training with top cardiologists in two different hospital settings.
We train cardiovascular disease specialists with superb clinical skills, a lifelong commitment to learning and the ability to serve as leaders in the medical community.
What sets our cardiovascular disease fellowship apart?
- Training in two different hospital settings providing diverse case mix
- Commitment to education, dedicated ½ day of conference and weekly conferences
- Small size of fellowship leads to flexibility in scheduling
- National leaders in imaging, structural heart and interventional areas
- International elective option
- High clinical and procedural volumes
- Pioneers in interventional and structural procedures
- Innovative programs
- Clinical research opportunities with Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation®, which publishes more than 150 clinical manuscripts annually
Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Fellowship
Minneapolis Heart Institute® is proud to introduce the first independent, ACGME-approved vascular surgery fellowship in the country. This new program offers world-class vascular surgery training at Abbott Northwestern Hospital, ranked #1 in the Twin Cities by US News and World Report.
What sets our program apart?
- Dedicated attending staff and advanced practice providers
- Two hybrid endovascular operating rooms
- Dedicated vascular surgery operating rooms
- ICAVL-accredited non-invasive vascular laboratory
- IAC-accredited vein center
- Training in endovascular therapies, wound care and hyperbaric medicine
- Mentorship in clinic research with the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation
Learn about our leadership:
Timothy M. Sullivan, MD, vascular fellowship program director
Jason Alexander, MD, associate program director
Elliot Stephenson, MD, associate program director
2019 fellowship interviews are scheduled for Feb 19, Feb 27 and Mar 6.
Candidates must complete an ACGME-approved five-year general residency prior to applying.
Please include the following materials to be considered for the fellowship:
- Vascular fellowship application
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- Medical school transcript
- Letters of recommendation
- ABSITE transcripts (surgical fellowships only)
- Postgraduate Training Authorization Letter (PTAL) or “California Letter” (international medical graduates only)
Submit your application materials via email:
Or postal mail:
Timothy M. Sullivan, MD
Program Director, Vascular & Endovascular Surgery Fellowship
Abbott Northwestern Hospital
800 East 28th St
Minneapolis, MN 55407
For questions or more information, please contact our program coordinator at 612-863-6800 or firstname.lastname@example.org.