Cardiac surgery at Minneapolis Heart Institute® has always maintained an exceptionally high level of quality and expertise. With increased emphasis on system-wide program development, cardiothoracic surgeons are advancing innovative surgical therapies and creating new options for patients. A true multidisciplinary focus allows surgeons and cardiologists to collaborate with patients to develop optimal individualized treatment plans.
Minneapolis Heart Institute® cardiothoracic surgeons have nearly 100 years of combined experience, offering expertise and options that are not available at most other hospitals in the region. They perform a range of complex procedures including:
Complex Structural Heart Surgery
- Ventricular assist devices for end-stage heart failure and total artificial heart surgery
- Heart transplants
- Transcatheter valve procedures in partnership with interventional cardiologists
- Adult congenital heart surgery in partnership with pediatric cardiac surgeons
- Valve-sparing root, complex mitral valve (including bi-leaflet repairs) and tricuspid valve repairs
Surgery for Arrhythmias
- Concomitant atrial fibrillation surgery
- Lone atrial fibrillation surgery
Surgery of the Great Vessels
- Complex aortic aneurysm surgery including the transverse arch
- Aortic dissection surgery
High-risk Coronary Artery Bypass
Less Invasive Approaches to Conventional Surgery
Thoracic Surgery Including Lung Cancer and Video-assisted Procedures
Ongoing clinical investigation sustains the leadership role of academic institutions. Surgeons at Minneapolis Heart Institute® are participating in more than 25 ongoing clinical research trials. Every year, they publish many peer-reviewed manuscripts and are frequent presenters of abstracts at national and international meetings. Our surgeons are also invited lecturers nationally and internationally.
- Patient education open heart surgery videos on allinahealth.org. Patient videos include: What to expect, breathing exercises and tips for getting up and down.