Preventing heart disease or restoring your health after a heart attack or cardiac event is the goal of our preventive cardiology clinic. Heart disease continues to be the leading cause of death for both men and women. Our team of experts is committed to reducing the incidence of cardiovascular heart disease through best-practice clinical care for our patients and investigative research.
Our clinic fosters lifestyle changes and provides tailored medical treatment to:
- Manage risk factors and prevent heart disease
- Reduce the progression of heart disease for those who have had a heart attack or stroke
- Offer options for those who experience statin intolerance
- Treat familial hypercholesterolemia, a genetic disorder of LDL cholesterol
- Improve the quality of life by reducing symptoms
Know your risk
The first step in heart disease prevention is knowing your risk. Even one condition or habit makes you more likely to develop heart disease. But having more than one risk factor increases the possibility for heart disease.
- Family history of early heart disease
- Diabetes or pre-diabetes
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Tobacco use
- Lack of regular exercise
- High levels of stress
Preventive cardiology services
- A comprehensive cardiovascular examination and evaluation of cardiac risk factors
- Advanced blood tests with results at appointment
- Lipid management including statin intolerance
- Nutrition assessment and recommendations
- Cardiac Imaging (HeartScan) – access to a special scan that can detect deposits in the heart arteries before symptoms are present.
- Opportunity for participation in clinical trials of new therapies
Know Your Team
The Preventive Cardiology program is staffed by a multidisciplinary team of cardiologists, advanced care providers (nurse practitioners, physician assistant), dietitian/nutritionist, and research nurses dedicated to disease management.
Schedule an Appointment
Preventive cardiology clinics are available at:
- Abbott-Northwestern Hospital – Minneapolis Heart Institute Outpatient clinic, Minneapolis
- Allina West Health, Plymouth
- Centennial Lakes Office Building , Edina
- Chaska 212 Medical Office Building, Chaska